Follow these steps to create an automated birthday email on Mailchimp.
This tutorial assumes:
- You have an account on Mailchimp.
- You have purchased the Emailnery Birthday Card layout.
- You know where to locate the Emailnery Birthday Card layout HTML file on your device.
Mailchimp has a terrific Free plan that includes up to 2,000 contacts and 10,000 sends per month, with a daily send limit of 2,000 emails. Mailchimp has a terrific Automation builder tool that makes it really easy to build simple and complicated multi-step triggered email campaigns. Let’s do this!
The first step is to login to your Mailchimp account and create a “List” (assuming you don’t already have one).
2. Follow these directions to create an Audience.
3. Click the Current audience menu and select your birthday audience.
4. Click Settings, then select Audience fields and *|MERGE|* tags.
5. Click the Add A Field button.
6. Follow these steps to create a “Birthday” field.
- Name the field “Birthday.”
- DO NOT select the “Required” checkbox (leave it un-checked).
- Enter “BIRTHDAY” (all-caps) in the Merge Tag field.
- Click the Save Changes button.
7. Create a list of contacts with their Birthdays. Be sure your list has first name, email, and birthday fields. Mailchimp Birthdays must be formatted as mm/dd. This is a two-digit month and day. So, a March 18th birthday must be entered as 03/18. You can create your list using a spreadsheet like Excel or Google Sheets, with each contact on a separate row. The birthday list spreadsheet will have three columns with these titles in the first row:
- Column 1 Title: First Name
- Column 2 Title: Email
- Column 3 Title: Birthday
Another way is to create a comma separated list saved as a CSV file (.csv at the end of the filename). The format for a CSV file is to have each contacts first name, email, and birthday separated by a comma and each contact on a separate line as follows:
Save the list in Plan Text format. Name the list like this: birthday-list.csv
8. Lastly, follow these steps to import the birthday list you create into your birthday list on Mailchimp. Use this import process to add new contacts anytime.
That’s it. Your automated birthday emails will send automagically. You can edit your automation settings anytime.